Thursday, December 2, 2010

"Medical Ethics" or "What did NOT happen for me."

I started laughing when I read this.  This is a joke right?  "Medical Ethics" is an oxymoron to me any more.  Everything that happened to me in my contact with the medical field is in direct opposition to the statements contained in this article.  Here's the unedited link.  AMA - Principles of Medical Ethics

Here's the edited version for my readers.  The italics, highlighting, underlining, etc are mine.  Please read the article in situ for the original text without my tinkering.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preamble

The medical profession has long subscribed to a body of ethical statements developed primarily for the benefit of the patient. As a member of this profession, a physician must recognize responsibility to patients first and foremost, as well as to society, to other health professionals, and to self. The following Principles adopted by the American Medical Association are not laws, but standards of conduct which define the essentials of honorable behavior for the physician.

Principles of medical ethics

I. A physician shall be dedicated to providing competent medical care, with compassion and respect for human dignity and rights.  (I was treated with complete and utter disregard for my dignity and rights.  There was zero compassion for me.)
II. A physician shall uphold the standards of professionalism, be honest in all professional interactions, and strive to report physicians deficient in character or competence, or engaging in fraud or deception, to appropriate entities.  (Honesty was also singularly lacking.  I was defrauded and deceived, and there is NOTHING to stop it!  Doctors don't follow this guideline, see my charting from the second opinion doctor!  He tried to tell me some false hoods to get my original surgeon off the hook.  He should have turned in my surgeon, in my opinion.)
III. A physician shall respect the law and also recognize a responsibility to seek changes in those requirements which are contrary to the best interests of the patient.  (Please see my other posts about how egregiously the law was flouted in regards to my care!  I have a list of the laws that were violated...)
IV. A physician shall respect the rights of patients, colleagues, and other health professionals, and shall safeguard patient confidences and privacy within the constraints of the law.  (I was informed that once I walked through the doors of the hospital that I no longer had any rights, that by my mere presence there, I had waived any rights.  Also, how do you "safeguard patient confidences" when you give them a drug, Versed, which causes an obliteration of the patients own censorship.  Patients blab about all kinds of things for the amusement of the staff while under the influence of Versed.)
V. A physician shall continue to study, apply, and advance scientific knowledge, maintain a commitment to medical education, make relevant information available to patients, colleagues, and the public, obtain consultation, and use the talents of other health professionals when indicated.  ( I needed to know just how bad this surgery could be, the loss of grip, the nerve damage, the forced sedation and forced g/a, the huge fail rate of this surgery, the COST of it all, the tendon damage, my surgeon's particular fail rate, the TRUE benefits, not some over stated pie in the sky rating from the surgeon, etc.  None of that was available, see surgeon's notes in 2009)
VI. A physician shall, in the provision of appropriate patient care, except in emergencies, be free to choose whom to serve, with whom to associate, and the environment in which to provide medical care.
VII. A physician shall recognize a responsibility to participate in activities contributing to the improvement of the community and the betterment of public health.  (This one floors me!  Not only was I kept completely in the dark about my treatment, but everybody denied that there was a problem afterwards.  Please see my x rays and the surgeon notes saying that this was all just fine!  I would say that admitting that the surgery was a failure from beginning to end would be the start of a learning curve.)
VIII. A physician shall, while caring for a patient, regard responsibility to the patient as paramount( It is my contention that nobody had any responsibility to the patient (me) at all.  Even the hospital administrators claim that they have no fiduciary duty to me as a patient.)
IX. A physician shall support access to medical care for all people(How about physician shall support affordable access to medical care for all people.  Doesn't do any good to have access if financial ruin is the result.  How about giving your self payers the same deal as you give the rich and powerful insurance companies?) 
Adopted June 1957; revised June 1980; revised June 2001.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment