Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Medical Records Omitted


In my chart from the hospital there should be a graph of my heartbeat and respiration. I have a piece of one that shows a sharp drop to the bottom of the chart, but I can't read it. Could I have been walloped with Versed to the point that I now have brain hypoxia? I warned them that I have paradoxical reactions to anesthesia agents, were they trying to knock me down? I wasn't the slightest bit nervous or anxious prior to the Versed injection, but who knows what happened once they totally disconnected my brain. My memory is clear right up to the point that the CRNA took out my partial and shoved a tube down my throat. Is this when I crashed? I am including this chart here. This is also the chart which contains the fact that I was given an additional 4 mls of Versed post surgery. I was in the hospital for 7 HOURS for a 70 minute operation. My BP crashed to 80 over 30 for half an hour. They gave me 1400 cc of "Crystalloid" why is that? Here is a studySecondary Abdominal Compartment Syndrome After Severe Extrem... : The Journal of Trauma that shows how dangerous this is. What is 10cc of EBL? Why did the anesthesia stop so long after the surgery? Why in the hell was I given anesthesia at all? I wanted a nerve block and pain meds. There is absolutely no excuse for this! I had 2 mls of Versed preop, apparently 1 more ml at the start and 4 more before being carted to the PACU. They charged me for more, but since they refused to release my medication chart I have no idea. They don't show the Propofol injections, the timing of the Flurane gas, Benadryl, or any of the rest of it. I have no EKG charts, nothing.

4 comments:

  1. So did you want to be awake and remember them placing the laryngeal mask airway? It seems like the proper anesthesia would be to prevent you from those unpleasant experiences. The documented pressure of 80/30 is not saying that is where your blood pressure was for a half hour, just at the intervals that the anesthesiologist was documenting. Since at that time your pressure was slightly low (in surgery and general anesthesia it is acceptable to have lower blood pressures, it reduces the amount of bleeding/complications) giving you 1400cc of crystalloid, which most likely was normal saline or lactated ringers, was an appropriate intervention. Patients in surgery often come in dehydrated do to being instructed not to eat or drink anything for several hours. As a general rule a mean arterial blood pressure from 50-60 is appropriate for a patient under general anesthesia. The 10cc of EBL is estimated blood loss, 10cc is less than a table spoon (15ml), this is probably less blood than labs that were drawn before your surgery. As far as charging you from more medication than was administered, in many areas versed is only available in a 5ml/mg vial, therefore unless you want to share vials with other patients, which would be dangerous and illegal, you will be charged for vials that were opened even if the entire amount was not used. The lowest documented oxygen saturation on the page was 94%, anything above 92% is completely acceptable and adequate for not only cerebral perfusion, but normal everyday conciousness and body function. So you came out of the procedure with the same number of braincells you started with...... which is obviously inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my post from last night isn't here.... perhaps it made you look to stupid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you weren't afraid of common sense you would let people post repliles to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. No dear I didn't want to remember them placing the LMA! There wasn't supposed to BE an LMA. What part of NO do you yourself not understand?

    ReplyDelete