The World Health Organization's ICD-10 lists narcissistic personality disorder under (F60.8) Other specific personality disorders.
It is a requirement of ICD-10 that a diagnosis of any specific personality disorder also satisfies a set of general personality disorder criteria.
Diagnostic criteria (DSM-IV):
The essential feature of Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy that begins by early adulthood and is present in a variety of situations and environments. This describes any number of medical personnel to a tee. Especially those that leave me "comments."
In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements) Yes, yes.
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love Yes, this is present in the posts. They all feel they should have unlimited power over us patients, at the very least. To hell with the law, patient wishes, long term damage from their ministrations, nothing should be allowed to stand in their way.
- Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)(hospitals?) Judging by the "dumb ass," "stupid bitch," "moron," etc. statements and the highly amusing comment where she says "those in the medical field know what I'm talkin' 'bout," I'd say this is true.
- Requires excessive admiration Yes.
- Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations Hell yes! "automatic compliance" or we'll give you Versed and force you to comply with our wishes anyway.
- Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends This is absolutely descriptive of the attitude of Versed pushers isn't it! "I am going to force you to take this med (and any other thing I may want to do, because I want to get paid enormous sums of money without any flack from a stupid patient) and if you don't like it, too bad, you are a 'stupid bitch.'" (among other trite epithets)
- Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others These medical people who have posted most of the comments on my blog are very guilty of this.
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her Not sure about this one, BUT, I only need five of these for a diagnosis. Since they all feel qualified (another symptom of the disorder) to pass judgement on me, I reserve the right to pass judgement on them!
- Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes. Oh yes, yes, yes! Just read the comments!!!! Not to mention my documented treatment at the hands of these barbarians. Not even my surgery was properly done. Tsk, tsk.
There you have it! I may be a "stupid bitch" and all the rest of it, but you medical people who write me these comments need to have your head examined. Seriously. LITERALLY! "Physician heal thyself." Or little nursey poo, whatever. Ta ta, see you next time! Oh, and please allow me a little time to respond to your pearls of wisdom before you have a nervous breakdown over it. I'll let you display your mental disorder, I PROMISE!