Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mind Flip

I came across the doctor who wrote this on Dr. Kevins blog, here; Improving patient safety requires a commitment to transparency

In the comments there is this;



Dike Drummond MD, http://www.thehappymd.com Dike Drummond MD is a Career and Life Strategist for Physicians and other healthcare providers. He is a coach, speaker, author and trainer providing coaching and support for Professional Burnout Treatment and Prevention and Disruptive Physician Intervention. 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand




On the patient and family side of this whole question of transparency ... here is a fabulous resource all doctors and healthcare systems need to be aware of. This is all about how to be transparent to the family when an error occurs. I have found it a quality resource little known in the wider medical community
http://www.sorryworks.net/


Dike
Dike Drummond MD
http://www.thehappymd.com/


The only reason I even took this guy seriously is because of his reference to the "sorryworks" website. (link above) I have talked about this website at length on my blog. I have written about my experience and the very first thing I wanted from the medical professionals was an apology. I didn't want to hear how sorry they were that I was upset, but their (woefully bad) "Standard Of Care" had been met, blah blah blah. I wanted an apology for what they did to me against my will and in defiance of "informed consent" law. Just like it says in http://www.sorryworks.net/


The second thing I wanted was to know what procedures the hospital was going to implement to prevent these mistakes from happening to others. Since they were all in denial, I had the governing bodies FORCE this medical center to reform their practices. It would have been easier to just deal with me, don't you think?


The third thing I wanted was for the crna who poisoned me with Versed against my wishes and who claimed that my lack of response afterward was my PERMISSION to then give me g/a also against my stated wishes and without "informed consent" to be called on the carpet and told in no uncertain terms that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. Along with that, I wanted a hand washing program so that others did not suffer a preventable kidney infection like *I* got. My surgeon and his lack of skill is another story...


So anyway, Dr. Dike Drummond caught my attention, so I ordered his free "MindFlip" presentation. I think this kind of exercise will also be beneficial for all of us who have suffered at the hands of an overzealous anesthesia department. I know that *I* had some pretty low scores after my Versed debacle. I'm going to work on it and see if it helps. Doctors aren't the only people who are trained to see danger first...


p.s. Dr. Drummond is "easy to look at" as in "hot" for all my lady friends who read this! Of course this has nothing to do with his message, but it sure makes it easier to watch him talk! 'M I bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment