Thursday, January 6, 2011

Light Entertainment!

The following is an amusing rendition about what happened to this man when his CRNA gave him Versed against his wishes. I snatched this from Notes of an Anesthesioboist: Sign Here, Please
Anonymous said...

"I had a paradocical rxn to versed in the past and told the anesthesiologist that I didn't consent to receiving it, ut the CRNA gave it to me anyway. I remember her smirking as she patted me on the shoulder and told me that: don't worry about any problems, you can trust me". Really professional. When the procedure was over, the CRNA was red-faced and begging me to consent to a blood draw fo HIV/Hep C; it seems that after she pushed the Versed into my IV I had another paradoxical reaction and she got bit and stuck as I ripped my IV out. I told her no and she said that my anesthesia consent permitted this, I told her and the surgeon: "I hereby revoke my consent to any blood draws or further treatment since you administered a drug that the anesthesiologist agreed not to use". Suddenly the CRNA got very quiet. My wife told her: "don't worry about any problems honey, you can trust him"......My wife has had enough clinical experience to know that consent can be revoked at any time and she asked how the CRNA felt now. I told her that I have to live with the Versed side-effects and that she has to live with the consequences of exposure. Interestingly enough, my surgeon was totally supportive; when I saw him 2 weeks later I told him that I would have agreed to a blood test if the CRNA wasn't such a jerk..he said let her worry about the consequences. And I got a formal apology from the anesthesiologist."

No comments:

Post a Comment