Sunday, November 25, 2012

Jumpin' Jack Flash and Versed/Midazolam

There's an old movie, a classic really, called "Jumpin' Jack Flash" starring Whoopi Goldberg as an accidental spy.  It was made around 1986 or so just when Versed/Midazolam was coming into favor.  I watched it again today and discovered something really sinister...  It's an unfortunate side effect of my Versed experience that I'm hyper vigilant about these things. 

There's a part of the story line in "Jumpin' Jack Flash" that appears to include a drug exactly like Versed...  The same dis inhibition, the babbling on about anything and everything AND complete amnesia about events which transpired.  I had never noticed this before.  For those of you who have never watched the movie here's how it went.  Ominously a spy type injected Whoopi with a drug which was supposed to be a 'truth serum.'  Whoopi escapes his clutches and begins an adventure which includes telling people what she really thinks of them, snatching a toupee off of her bosses head and being insufferably rude and truthful to others.  Then, when one of the 'victims' of Whoopi's vitriol asks her about it, Whoopi claims to not remember a word of it.  Nothing.

INSTANTLY warning bells went off in my head.  OMG Whoopi's character was shot up with something like Versed (or it was Versed) which left her walking, talking and acting the fool, with zero memory for the duration of the drug.  Wow.  This is a comedy movie and here we have the worst drug ever devised by anti-social misanthropes in big pharma labs featured and we are all laughing.  It's not so funny to me now. 

When I first saw the movie I assumed that there was no drug such as they injected her with.  It's a comedy right, pure Hollywood?  Versed is such a tightly held secret that I didn't know about it until it was shot into me against my will 20 years later.  Even then I seriously HAD NO IDEA the depths of depravity our medical minions had sunk to in regard to this poison.  I didn't find out the whole truth about Versed until AFTERWARDS when the lawsuit mitigation nurse, called a "patient relations" nurse, (how's that for duplicity?) informed me of the whole truth about the date rape drug "Vitamin V."  You know, the simple muscle relaxant that my crna claimed.  I should have been paying more attention to some dumb comedy movie shouldn't I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment