Saturday, May 3, 2014

NOT Getting Versed? "A No Brainer"

I got an e-mail from a reader and it is so good, I got permission to reproduce it here.  Thanks Anonymous!
This reader also sent a pamphlet on Midazolam/Versed that I am going to address in my next post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Thanks for all the info on this horrible Versed. Thanks to your blog and a whole lot of others, I got thru my colonoscopy drug free. I am a needle phobic and tend to pass out after any IV so when I read about VERSED, well, no brainer!


I signed up for a drug free colonoscopy last year after my own GP admitted she herself had had one sedation free. I feel any GI doctor willing to do one drug free must be pretty good at his/her job. My twin sister chose the drug route for her colonoscopy procedure and to this day, cannot even tell me what the doctor reported, why she has to come back in five years instead of ten, she thinks she was "asleep" for the procedure. Pathetic!

I read your blog, did all the research, knew my strong and weak points and just went ahead and booked one unsedated. I had to pass on the upper endoscopy though. I am asthmatic and could never get through that one, sedated or unsedated. We have to know when we are out of our depth and just refuse these procedures when we feel we won't survive them.

Note that when you say "no sedation" they still try to shove a needle into you assuming you will take Fentanyl or some other opioid for pain. I crossed off all of this on the form and wrote "NO MEDS" with my initials and they still came into the procedure room and told me to just roll up my sweater sleeve for the needle. (I didn't get one of those horrible gowns to wear because I wasn't going to be sedated I guess so no "stickies" on my chest, just a BP cuff and pulse oximeter ). I refused the needle altogether and for the third time, knowing they would shove that VERSED into me as soon as I felt the slightest twinge.

How did the procedure go?? Well, after more dire warnings about pain from the GI who had initially agreed to it, I just soldiered on, one bad moment where she hit the sigmoid/splenic flexure and I nearly passed out ( but remember, I have that bad vagus nerve anyhow). Doctor said "Do you want me to stop?" and I said: "Just give me a minute to catch my breath" and we went on. Doctor got right to the Terminal Ileum and the nurses, (by this time there were two of them) told me I was a trooper. (I am probably the first 74 yr. old woman they ever did unsedated so I hope I made my point to them.)

One thing I now know. Forget modesty! They flip you onto your back part way through the procedure and I am certain they remove or pull up your gown when you are sedated. I had on my upper clothes and a paper cover which the doctor attempted to cover me with when I rolled over (for all the good that did!) I am sure they do not bother with ANY of this when you are "under the influence" yelling your head off! They just pretty much treat you as they please and since you are drugged, they don't have to stop the procedure.

Do I recommend unsedated colonoscopy? Yes and No. You have to be determined and it apparently helps to be male, to not have adhesions, IBS, not to have had a hysterectomy, not to have a redundant colon etc. People need to do some research and know something about their own bodies. Some of these folks might find the procedure painful, even with a good GI. For me, I would do it again if I had to but I don't think I will ever have to. Some polyps removed, benign, a bit of diverticulosis but not serious and let's face it, at 74 I am probably home-free. This is a "one and done" and should keep my GP quiet and off my case for the rest of my life.


See attached book if you haven't read it yet on the origin of this drug.

Keep up the good work. VERSED is a horrible drug for those of us who
  • are control freaks
  • don't trust the medical profession
  • don't take drugs
  • want to know what is going on with our bodies
  • want to keep our memories and brains intact
  • basically hate BIG PHARMA


No comments:

Post a Comment